Friday, May 2, 2014

Too Faced "Melted" Liquified Long Wear Lipstick -- I'M IN LOVE

Guys. GUYS.  I think I found my new favorite lipsticks.  They're phenomenal.  I'm in love.  They're everything you want in a lipstick and more.

Junicorns, meet Too Faced "Melted" Liquified Long Wear Lipstick ($21).  It claims that you "get the staying power of a stain, the intense color of a liquid lipstick and the high shine of a gloss."

Yes those are cats on my scarf.

I created this super easy, natural, peachy look using the two colors I purchased -- "Melted Nude" and "Melted Coral" -- mixed as one color.  Popped some NARS Blush in "Orgasm" on the apples of my cheeks and swiped a few coats of UD's Cannonball Mascara on my lashes, and you're good to go for any spring day!

Anyway, on to the review!


I've been waiting to try these out since they first came out a month or two ago.  I mean, how can one lipstick claim to be three things at the same time?  It seemed too good to be true.  (And at $21 per lipstick, my expectations were HIGH.)  So clearly, I decided on the two colors that stood out to me: the nude and the coral (who would have guessed?).  I was instantly excited.. even the packaging is gorgeous and luxe looking.


The applicator is actually sort of like a doe foot meets a sponge.  I'm not exactly sure how I like it, because it's a little difficult to get super precise along the edges of your lips.  I actually blotted some of the product on my lips and used a lip brush to make the lines clean and sharp.


If that isn't crazy pigmentation for a liquid lipstick, I don't know what is.  "Melted Nude" on the left and "Melted Coral" on the right, obviously.  I didn't really know how the coral shade was going to look on my skin tone -- actually, a lot of the blog and YouTube reviews show the coral shade looking like completely different colors!  One review makes it look like a pastel orangey-peach, and the next a vivid hot pink.  This swatch is actually reading a bit pinker than it looked in person, as it was slightly more peachy and orangey in natural and artificial light.


Talk about gooooorgeous!  I really like how this shade is a true coral.  It isn't too red, it isn't too pink, and it isn't too orange.  It's right on the money.  And it makes your teeth look insanely white!  The formula of this is definitely opaque, if not a little chalky.  But it's soo creamy and soft on the lips.  It does bring out some of the lines and wrinkles if you don't apply enough coats, but all in all I can't find many things wrong with it.


The nude shade is also a true nude!  I find it very difficult sometimes to get a nude shade just right on my olive-tan skin.  A lot of my nudes can end up looking too pink, or actually too much like as if I had just applied concealer all over my lips.  It's a warm toned nude with a slightly peachy color, which for some reason reads really pretty on my skin tone.  This nude is PERFECT.


So.. I combined the two colors and the most beautiful color was born!  If the coral shade is perhaps too pigmented and bold for every-day wear, mixing it with some of the nude creates a perfect daytime color.  I have a feeling I will be wearing these lipsticks a LOT this spring and summer.

As a side note, these lipsticks can get somewhat drying on the lips.  You can tell from the pictures that they are a tiny bit.. crackly?  They aren't supposed to be a matte shade -- they're actually supposed to have a glossy shine.  Unless you really pile on the product, I don't see much shine from these, but I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to add a few more layers.  Personally I just don't like the feel of a ton of lipstick coating my lips, but I'm sure it's possible to achieve!  (That, or just add a pop of gloss to the middle of your lips, and voila!  I can see NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss in "Gold Digger" or Stila Lip Glaze in "Kitten" being gorgeous on top of these.)

I also applied these shades over a neutral colored lip liner.  I'm not sure what they'd look like without any liner underneath, but I knew that my lips needed a base to even out the discoloring and fill in some of the fine lines.  I'm also not sure how the super pigmentation would settle into the pores of your lips, as this lipstick claims to have the staying power of a stain.  So just add a layer of lip liner all around the outline of your lips, and fill them all the way in!

If you have the $21 to shell out on these babies, I can't see a better lip product to invest your money in.

xojaybee  

No comments:

Post a Comment