Friday, May 30, 2014

Kim Kardashian Inspired Makeup Tutorial!!

If you don't want to read this because it's inspired by Kim K, puh-lease.  Even if you hate her, it doesn't mean you have to hate her amazing makeup artist Mario Dedivanovic.  Her look for the wedding rehearsal dinner last week was phenomenal.  I saw it and I instantly fell in love.  Kim is known for her beautiful smokey cat eyes, and this was no exception.  However this look was different enough to stand out -- at least to me -- from her usual routine.  The cat eye was soft, and actually extended from the bottom lid, while the top lid was unusually bare [notice the top lid inner half -- barely any color!].


When I saw it I knew I had to recreate it for myself.  My interpretation isn't exact, but I didn't want it to be exact. I sort of molded the look to suit my eyes and my face.  I even included some highlighting -- how can you do a Kim K makeup tutorial without a good highlight?



Tutorial after the jump!





1.  Start off with a clean eye.  My eyebrows were already done!


2.  Prime your eyes!!  I actually primed with two separate primers for this look.  On both my top and bottom lids, I started with a base of NARS Smudge Proof Eye Shadow Primer..


..then primed my top lid with Urban Decay's Primer Potion in Eden, a thicker, cream colored base.


It looks pretty creepy and harsh when you first start blending it, but keep blending!! It'll eventually even out and give your lid a great base for shadows.


3.  With a fluffy blending brush, lightly sweep a shimmery, plum colored shadow over the entire top lid.  I used a random color from my Sephora Holiday palette, but Make Up For Ever shadow in "Deep Plum Shimmer" is pretty, or L'Oreal Infallible shadow in "Smoldering Plum" is also an amazing option.


4.  In the crease and outer V of your top lid, apply a darker plum or brown shimmery shadow with a smaller crease brush.  I like Urban Decay's "Busted" shadow, or L'Oreal Infallible shadow in "Continuous Cocoa" -- be sure that this color is more of a cool toned shade rather than a warm tone. If you look at pictures of Kim K's top lid in this makeup look, her shadows are not very dramatic.  They're very smooth and blended out, so be sure to blend out any harsh edges.


5.  Pat a mauve-y, silvery, shimmery colored shadow on just the center of your lid, below the crease and crease shadow.  This just makes the eye pop and adds more dimension to the makeup.  Try Jane Cosmetic's "Slate" shadow, or the NARS "Melusine" eyeshadow duo's silver shade.


6.  Using a silky black pencil eyeliner -- I used Stila's Smudge Stick liner in "Stingray" -- line only the outer half of your eye, and create a subtle, subtle cat eye.  Instead of thinking of this as a cat eye eyeliner, just start the line in the middle of your lashline as a thin line, and make it thicker as you draw to the outer corner.


7.  Really smoke this line out by going over it with a matte black eyeshadow.  You don't need to be too neat with this line, because it's a super smokey, sultry look!


8.  This isn't the final step, of course, but I decided to pop on a set of falsies just as a guideline for the rest of my look. 

Smoke out the bottom lid with the same matte black shadow from the previous step. Kim K's lower lid is extremely sultry and dramatic in this look, so don't be shy to really blend it out and extend it down on the lid further than you normally would.


9.  Using the same matte black shadow on an angled shadow brush, like this one from Sephora, draw a dramatic yet smokey cat eye, extending from the bottom lid.  Use the outer point of your eyebrow as a guideline.

Then connect the top liner and the cat eye using the same brush and shadow.  Remember, the key is smokey and sultry, so keep all the lines soft and blended!


10.  Extend the bottom liner all the way into your inner corner, and even a bit further, to create a super cat-like look.  This creates the illusion of an exotic, almond shape eye -- especially if you have naturally rounder eyes.  I actually used the same creamy pencil liner instead of the shadow for this step, because the inner corner has a tendency to wear away during the day faster than the rest of the lid.


11.  To really make the cat eye dramatic, sweep a light colored concealer or highlighter from the outer corner of your eye all the way to your hairline.  This may seem absurd, but trust me on this one!

I blended this concealer line out with a beauty blender sponge.  


12.  Using the same concealer, apply a triangle-shape to your under-eye area.  Blend, blend, blend all this concealer out!  You can use your fingers, but I really recommend using a beauty blender sponge and stippling/bouncing the concealer out to blended perfection.


If it looks a little harsh still, keep blending!

13.  Tight line your entire lower water line with the same creamy black liner, from outer corner to inner corner.

Then add 2-3 coats of a volumizing and lengthening mascara to the bottom lashes.  I, of course, used my beloved Urban Decay Cannonball mascara.


14.  Add a shimmering white eyeshadow to the inner corners of your eye and underneath the arch of your eyebrow for some highlight. I like Stila Jewel Eyeshadow in "Opal" or Cover Girl's Eye Enhancer shadow in "Snow Blossom."


15.  I added a second pair of falsies to my top lashes, just to give them extra oomph and volume.  This is totally optional, but Kim's lashes are always so on point, and adding an additional set of falsies really amps up this look.

And that's it!





This is a great alternative smokey eye look that is set apart from all the other more traditional smokey cat eyes.  I love the bareness of the top lid and the dark and dramatic bottom lid.  It's a really wearable look for any evening or nighttime event!!

Also: I will be adding a tutorial solely on falsies and how I apply my false lashes as soon as I get around to photographing the process!

xojaybee

1 comment:

  1. hi! which eye pencil for waterline do you suggest? (rich black and long lasting)

    ReplyDelete