Monday, June 23, 2014

Original Naked Palette

Okay.  I caved.  I finally bought the original Urban Decay Naked Palette.  I told myself I would never indulge in any of the Naked's, but the temptation finally got to me!  I know I'm probably one of the last people to hop on this bandwagon, especially for someone who owns as much makeup as I do.  But it finally happened.. so I have to accept it and embrace it.

I'm sure that a lot of you are familiar with this palette, so I won't go into too much detail.  But I still thought I'd write a review of it for those who don't own it yet, or anyone who just wants my opinion about the shadows!



A lot of people complain about the packaging of this palette.  I honestly don't see too much of a problem with it.  Yeah, it doesn't snap close, so it's a little difficult for travel.  But what are you doing with it, putting it in your suitcase and throwing it down the stairs?  If you keep it in a makeup bag/purse/carry-on/etc., I see very little issues with the packaging.


I'm obviously a huge neutrals fan, so these shades are right up my alley.  In fact, I already own "Half Baked," "Buck," and "Gunmetal" as individual shadows.  


How gorgeous are these shades?!  I sampled a few of them in Sephora, because I couldn't decide whether to pick up the original Naked Palette or the Naked 2 (which I also love).  I went with the original Naked, mostly because I know I'm going to use this palette's lighter shaded neutrals for every day wear.  The Original Naked has more of a warm, gold tone overall, whereas the Naked 2 is a bit more cool and grey-ish.


Above are swatches of the shadows over UD's Primer Potion.  From top to bottom: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, and Gunmetal.  

There are only two matte shades in this palette: Naked and Buck.  Naked may look almost invisible, but a lot of that is due to the fact that it blends in so perfectly with my tanned skin color.  It is THE perfect blending shade to sweep all over the lid before a look, or as a transition shade between a crease color and a lid color.  And I use Buck in almost every matte neutral eye look I create!  It's a great soft brown color to use between a lighter inner corner shade and a black or dark brown crease/outer-V shade.

My favorite shades in the palette are definitely Smog and Darkhorse.  Absolutely gorgeous.  I created the gradient/ombre look in the photo below using only Half Baked on the inner third of my lid, Smog in the center, and Darkhorse on the outer third.  This type of gradient look is one of the easiest yet most impressive-looking things to do with eyeshadows!



I love Sidecar, Toasted, and Hustle for creating a smokier, rose-gold colored eye look.  And any of the shades from the left side of the palette can be combined for an ethereal, shimmery daytime look.


This is what the shadows look like without a primer applied underneath.  Much less pigmented, yet still extremely pretty.  They're almost even more wearable for daytime looks when soft and diffused like this!

I think I've used at least one, if not more, shades from this palette every day since I've purchased it.  I know it can be a bit pricey, but if you think about it: UD single shadows are $18 a piece for .05oz, and at $54 for 12 shadows that are also .05oz.. you'd be spending $216!  That's a steal if I've ever seen one.  Do yourself a favor and pick this up now if you haven't already.  Now I know what I've been missing for the last three years!

Maybe it's time to go buy Naked 2 and 3?

xojaybee

No comments:

Post a Comment