Friday, January 16, 2015

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows!! (+ Z-Palette)

Getting packages in the mail is like waking up on Christmas morning sometimes.  I had been (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of my new Makeup Geek single eyeshadows for what seemed like ages.  The hype surrounding these little guys is insane, so I caved and decided to try them out for myself.

At only $6 a pop, they're super affordable for the quality of the product.  They're not the cheapest shadows out there (Colour Pop singles are only $5, and Morphe shadows are legit only $2 each -- which I'll be doing another review on shortly!), but how can you beat $6 when shadows like MAC are $10?

The downside (if it even is a downside) to buying eyeshadow singles is the fact that they need to be housed somewhere!  Because they don't come in their own little plastic containers, they are susceptible to breakage, dryness, and just overall wear and tear.  That is where something like a Z-palette comes into play.  There are a few dupes and different brands out on the market, but I don't think there's anything like the original.  Since I hate to be boring, I picked up the large leopard palette -- and I know it can seem pretty pricey at a hefty $20, but it's totally worth it.  Think of all the money you can save by buying de-potted shadow pans!


The shadows come in cute little packets, ready to be unpacked and arranged in the Z-palette whichever way your heart desires.  The pans are metallic, and the Z-palette has a magnetized bottom, so the shadows cling right in and don't move around unless you physically decide to shift them or take them out.


I decided to put my favorite MakeUp ForEver shadows in my palette (bottom row), along with my newly acquired Makeup Geek (top row) and Morphe Brushes (middle row) ones.


[As per usual, just click the photos to enlarge them!!]  I, of course, spent my time picking pretty neutrals to add to my collection.  I'm almost getting irritated at myself with how many neutral shades I currently own -- and keep buying -- but I can't help it!  I'm like a moth to a flame.  (But like I said, be on the lookout for a review on the Morphe shades, which aren't as neutral!)

The Makeup Geek shadow pans are the same size as MAC cosmetics and Morphe shadows.  MakeUp ForEver pans are quite a bit larger than the standard pan size, but they are also $21 each, sooo.. you do the math.

The swatches below were taken in both natural sunlight and the artificial lighting in my bedroom.  The top row is over Too Faced Shadow Insurance shadow primer, and the bottom row is over my natural skin, sans any primer:

Natural sunlight
Natural sunlight 
Natural sunlight 
Artificial lighting

For the price of only $6 each, I think the quality of these shadows is on point.  They're not as creamy or buttery as, say, my MakeUp ForEver (which are $21 each) or NARS shadows (which are $25 each), but they're definitely alright for their price point.  And for comparison's sake, they're much less powdery than the W7 Naked palette dupe shadows that I recently reviewed.

The pigmentation is great, as you can see from the swatches above.  Even without primer, the colors really pop on the skin, with minimal fallout.  The formula blends out incredibly well, and will be great for layering and buffing for multi-dimensional makeup looks.

All in all, the Makeup Geek singles eyeshadows are definitely worth the buy!  I will create and post a makeup tutorial using only these Makeup Geek shadows soon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment