Thursday, January 29, 2015

Kylie Jenner Inspired Shimmery Eye Makeup Tutorial (Day-Time Appropriate)

Okay.  Stop.  Before anyone rolls their eyes and thinks, "NO MORE KYLIE JENNER MAKEUP TUTORIALS!", let me just say that this one isn't her normal "go-to" "no makeup makeup" look.  I was scrolling through my Instagram feed the other day and came across this absolutely stunning makeup.  Kylie isn't known for her bold or daring makeup, so this was pretty out-of-the-box for her.


I wanted to turn this beautiful look into something wearable for daytime, but not totally get rid of how pretty and simple it is.


I toned the sparkle down a bit but hopefully kept the integrity of the look!  Shimmery, warm toned neutral shadows with long, fluttery lashes, and a smoked out black liner really amp up a simple neutral eye.  I tried to lighten up the colors a bit while still creating that sparkly, halo effect.



I'm sorry I didn't do a full face for this -- I just got so excited by the eyes that I forgot to do any face for y'all!

If you want this look, the tutorial is after the jump!




1. Start out with a prepped and primed lid and face.  I've been obsessed with my Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer.  If you have a monolid like I do, or suffer from oily lids, this primer is fantastic.  It keeps your shadows in place ALL DAY -- seriously, it doesn't budge.  And there is no creasing throughout the day!


2.  If Kylie is known for anything other than her lips, it's her brows.  I overdrew my natural brow shape/line a bit for this look to mimic Kylie's signature arches.  And to make them look a little more natural (as hers appear to be in her Instagram photo), I used only my Anastasia BH Brow Wiz in Soft Brown to create the shape and fill my brow in.  Set your brows per usual -- I, of course, used my Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel in Brunette.

If you ever think that you can skip the brow gel and not set your brows.. well, you're wrong.  I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but swiping your brows with a setting gel is crucial!!


3.  Sweep a warm-toned caramel/tan matte shadow on your lid, up to the crease (but don't extend it past the crease towards your brow).  This is pretty much just acting as a base and won't really be seen, but it's a necessary step for flawless blending.  I used Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow in "M650 Cookie" on a Sephora Pro Crease Brush #10 (I love how fluffy it is!).


4.  Deepen up the crease with a slightly darker shade in the same color family.  I used the warm, peachy brown Eye Shadow Single in the color "Bengal" by Anastasia BH, with the same Sephora brush.


5.  Here is where you start to wonder why you laid down any of the shadows in the previous steps, because we're gonna cover them up.. but I promise you it did something.  On your mobile lid, place a shimmery (but not glittery -- yet) caramely-tanish-brown shadow from crease to lash line.  One of my favorite eyeshadows ever is NARS "Fez."  It's a perfect not too warm and not too cool, velvety, shimmery shadow.  NARS shadows are extremely pricey -- at $25 for only 0.07 oz of product -- but so worth it.  I used a MAC Cosmetics 239 Eye Shader Brush to really pack on the color, instead of using a fluffy brush and sweeping it on the lid.  Use a patting motion to apply this shade.


6.  Now for the fun part! -- the "glitter" step of this look.  I didn't want to just apply a straight glitter to my lids, because that wouldn't be too day-time appropriate.  But the shimmery shadow alone wasn't quite cutting it.  So it was time to get creative!

What I did was use a glittery eyeliner, drew a ton of it on the pad of my ring finger, and patted it all over my lid like a cream shadow.


I thought a perfect shade to use was this gorgeous champagne color.  Not too flashy like KyJen's evening-appropriate eye, but still noticeable enough to catch the light during the day and really stand out.  I used Sephora's Contour Eye Pencil in "Girl Talk," which worked perfectly.  

When applying this product with your finger, gently dab it across the lid in light, swift motions.  Don't smear it or drag it on top of the eye, or you'll risk smudging the shadows underneath!  Try to keep the most glitter concentrated right in the middle of the lid, to create a wide, open-eyed effect.


7.  Time to smoke out the lashline!  It's so hard for me to not go right into creating a cat-eye liner, bit I definitely had to resist the urge.  This look has barely any liner -- it's all about a smoked out lid!  Using a soft, creamy kajal eyeliner -- I used Stila Kajal in "Onyx" -- draw a thin line right on your lash line and immediately smudge it out (before the liner sets at all).  [An amazing kajal eyeliner is the Maybelline Master Kajal, for only $8!, if you are looking for something inexpensive!]  Don't extend the liner much past the natural outer corner of your eye.  Kylie's liner had barely any flick!

As annoying and useless as they are, I really like using those dumb rubbery, foamy tipped makeup applicators for smudging out kohl or kajal eyeliners.  If you don't have one laying around, you can pick one up at your local drug store for a dollar or so.

If you want this look to be even more subtle and neutral, go ahead and use a brown liner for this step.  It would be just as pretty, and even more wearable for daytime.


8.  Using a more precise and pigmented black liquid liner, barely trace your upper lashline.  Per usual, I used my trusty Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner in "Black."  Starting with the thinest of thin lines in your inner corner, draw the line towards your outer corner, making the line ever-so-slightly thicker as you go.  This step is more so trying to enhance the look of your lashes and lashline rather than defining the eye with a liner.


9.  On your bottom lash line, smoke out the shimmery brown shadow from inner to outer corner.  I used the same NARS "Fez" shadow from before -- use the same shimmery lid color to do this step as well.  My favorite kind of brush to use on m lower lash line is a pencil brush or smudger brush.  I love the Sigma E30 pencil brush to really smoke and blend out shadows.


10.  The next and final step is just lashes, lashes, and lashes.  Apply a liberal coat of your favorite separating mascara to the bottom lashes.  I have naturally super long lashes, especially on my bottom lid, but they're pretty sparse and clumpy.  I like to use fiber mascaras to really pump up the volume and create the look of fuller lashes.  My favorite holy grail mascara is Urban Decay Cannonball -- it's packed with fibers, and the gel formula does a great job of separating my lashes the best they can be.

Then, of course, curl your top lashes and add your favorite long, spidery falsies.  The ones I chose are House of Lashes in "Noir Fairy" and they are the perfect Kylie lash for this look.

Girl had virtually no brow bone or inner corner highlight going on, so it's okay to skip this step.  The lid has so much sparkle anyway, and the focus should really remain on that glitter!



I think this is a great way to sneak a sultry, smokey, glittery makeup look into the daytime arena.  It may not necessarily be appropriate for a day at work, or a trip to Target.  But for a full day of errands, lunch/brunch with some friends, or any other fun daytime activity, you can definitely get away with rocking something subtly shiny and smoked out like this.  It's a bit bold, but try it out and you'll be surprised how easy it is to wear!




1 comment:

  1. Randomly found your blog and I’d like to say that you have amazing design,
    beautiful photos and interesting posts! I’m also impressed by your style! Everything is perfect!
    Natural Brow Primer

    https://savarnasmantra.com/blogs/blog

    ReplyDelete