Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Quick Beauty Haul!

This is definitely going to be sort of a mish-mosh of products -- so bear with me -- but I thought I'd share them with you!  Drugstore, Sephora.. my salon.. erp.  You know.  A day in the life.  If these hauls ever get boring, do tell.  But I like keeping y'all updated on what I'm getting + my thoughts/reviews on them so you can pick some up yourself or know what to avoid!!

So let's get on to it!

1.  Maybelline Fit Me! Shine Free Foundation, in "340 Cappuccino" ($8)

 

LISTEN UP EVERYONE.  Now don't get me wrong.  I love the NARS Matte Multiple.  But for $39 at 0.26oz, the little twist up stick is sort of ridiculously priced.  This Maybelline Fit Me! Shine Free Foundation is $8 for 0.32oz.  But June!, this says it's a foundation, and the Matte Multiple has so many uses!  Listen up again.  I compare this Cappuccino shade to the Altai or Vientaine shade from Nars, depending on your skin tone.  The MM is almost always sold out at Sephora stores, and hasn't been in stock on the website in what seems like forever.

I use the MM for contouring, and perhaps a cream eye shadow.  This Fit Me! Foundation can be used in an identical way.  Because I purchased such a dark shade, the creamy, powdery, lightweight formula is perfect for contouring!  I mean, it's perfect.  In the hollows of the cheeks, along the jawline, up on the temples and hairline, on the sides of the nose.  I am so pleasantly surprised by this product.  

If you can't get your hands on the MM and/or you just want a great, affordable cream contour/shadow in your makeup arsenal, GET THIS.  The end.

2.  Revlon Pearl Lipstick, in "120 Apricot Fantasy" ($8)


Alright.  I'm on the fence about this lipstick.  I've been trying to find an affordable peach lipstick -- one that I can slick on for every day wear and not worry about wasting an expensive product.  (I like to sort of "hoard" my high-end lipsticks for special occasions!)  I picked this up at my local Jewel (aka grocery store) and hoped for the best, since they don't have any "tester" products to try on before you buy.  I love the beautiful peachy color, but I think it comes off almost too pearl-y/frosty.  It almost reminds me of those pink frosty lipsticks that were popular circa 1997.  I wish it was creamier on the lips, and a little less sheer and thin.  It isn't terrible, but I don't think it's going to be my go-to lipstick.  

[Also, I know it looks like I really over-line my lips in lip color swatch photos, but I actually have a very strange line of pigmentation around the outer perimeter of my lips.  It's something I can either live with or try to cover up with concealer, which can get a little messy and cakey looking.  It's hard to get rid of so I just deal with it!]

3.  MakeUp ForEver Eyeshadow, in "164 Cafe Au Lait" ($21)


Eh, this product is pretty self explanatory.  I got an eyeshadow that is literally the same color as my skin.  See?  You can barely see the swatch on my hand, even though the shadow is extremely pigmented like all Makeup Forever shadows.  It's great for no-makeup makeup days, as a base for other shadows, a blending/transition shade, and a nice crease shadow.  I know, I obviously have at least 5 shadows that are almost the same color, but to a makeup addict, every single one is slightly different.  Trust me!  Since I've bought this I've used it every day.

4.  Too Faced Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eyeshadow Primer ($20)


First of all, I'm sorry about the absolutely terrible lighting in the swatch photos.  I was at my parent's house in my bedroom when the sun was going down, and.. I just couldn't get great lighting.  But then again, it's just eyeshadow primer that turns sheer when blended in.  It comes out of the tube an opaque nude shade, but the color definitely goes away once it's on the lid.  The consistency looks like it's going to be a bit too pasty for a primer, but it glides onto the skin effortlessly.  I'm addicted to my NARS eyeshadow primer and still haven't found one that I like better, but I'm giving this cult-classic a try.  I've used it a few times, and so far so good.  But I haven't really been in extreme heat or any weird weather situations.  Sephora rating system gives this primer a 4.7 out of 5, so how can you go wrong?

5.  Davines Hair Refresher Dry Cleansing Mist ($35 on Amazon)


Okay, so I got this product at my hair salon when I went brunette.  It's $35 on Amazon, but I think I snagged it for $28.  I don't really know if you can just walk into a salon and buy hair products without receiving any services, but.. try it?  

And let me just tell you, I have never used a "dry shampoo" better than this one.  Worth every penny.  I'm serious.  This is not actually a "dry shampoo" at all -- when it calls itself a cleansing mist, it is exactly that. If you spray a little in your hand to see the texture, it comes out just like a hairspray without being sticky whatsoever.  No powdery residue, no white specks, no.. anything, really.  It's a clear liquid that somehow gives your hair SO MUCH volume and body without feeling like there's any product in it or that it's drying your hair out like most oil absorbing products do.  Think of it as an extremely light oil that.. still.. absorbs oil in your hair.  Hard to explain, so check it out for yourself!  And it has a pretty fragrance, too!

------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's that! Like I said, super random. But hopefully helpful in some way!

xojaybee

No comments:

Post a Comment