Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cheesy and Garlicy "Cheddar Bay" Biscuits

I cook.  I cook all the time.  But I never remember to photograph any of the steps or ingredients as I'm cooking for this blog.  And that makes me sad.

However, this recipe is almost so easy that step-by-step photos aren't even necessary.  In fact -- I don't even use a "recipe" in the traditional sense.  I don't know about you, but I like to go to Red Lobster just for their Cheddar Bay Biscuits that are served on the table in place of bread.  Sometimes I make a meal out of them.  (Don't forget, a vegetarian eating at a seafood restaurant can be tricky, unless I want to eat "Shrimp Fettucini Alfredo without the shrimp" or a "Caesar salad.. no, no, no shrimp. No chicken either. No, I don't want any meat.  Yes, I'm sure.")

Trust me.  Baking biscuits may seem intimidating if you're not used to it, but this is so simple it's sick.  


All you need is:
Buttermilk Pancake mix
Shredded cheddar cheese
Milk
Water
1 stick cold butter
Minced garlic
Herbs (I used my fresh, garden-grown parsley and chives.. but you can also used the dried variety)

Preheat your oven to 375, and spray a cookie sheet with some nonstick spray.  Grab a medium mixing bowl, a small saucepan, and pastry cutter.

This may sound crazy, but this is how I roll.  I don't even measure ANYTHING for this dish.  Not one measuring spoon, not one lined cup.  Nothing.  Just take a medium sized bowl and dump in as much buttermilk pancake mix as you desire.  You can sort of eyeball how much you need.  I think I used around 2-3 cups.  Then, cut half a stick of cold butter into the dry mix.  I used a pastry cutter, but, I mean.. just use a fork if you don't have one of those.  Don't mix it too much though! -- the pieces of butter should look like the size of little pearls.  Then just add a big handful of shredded cheese.  I honestly probably use as much cheese as I do buttermilk pancake mix.  If you like things very garlicy, dump a few spoonfuls of minced garlic (or a few cloves of fresh minced garlic) into the mix.  Stir in some milk and water, but just enough to make the "dough" sticky and very firm.  It should sort of look and feel like playdoh.  Then mix in some minced garlic and herbs.

Scoop some of the dough onto a greased cookie sheet, about the size of a scoop of ice cream.  Pop those in the oven!

As soon as you do that, put the other half of the stick of butter that you didn't use in the dough into a saucepan and melt it.  Dump some minced garlic and fresh herbs into the melted butter and stir it around to draw some of the flavors out.  After the biscuits have been in the oven for about 7-8 minutes, take them out and baste the tops with the melted butter and garlic.  But only use about half the butter mixture.  Mmmmm.  Stick them back in the oven for another 5-6 minutes or so, until the tops are getting golden brown.  Take 'em out and use the rest of the melted butter and garlic on the tops of the biscuits and pop them in the oven for a quick minute or so until the tops are sizzling.

And.. that's it!  They're done.



These things are so delicious and addicting.  And they have a whole stick of butter in them, sooooo.  You know.  Obviously you shouldn't make these every day, but they're so fun to have once in a while.  Nothing will be as good as the actual Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster, but these are great for when you can't go to the restaurant!

They're great as a side before a salad or pasta, and a cute appetizer for parties (you can just use a little spoon and make them small and adorable instead of the size of a scoop of ice cream!).  They're also good for a brunch or lunch with friends.

And because I don't really "measure" things, they're pretty damn easy to recreate.  So get cooking :]

xojaybee

No comments:

Post a Comment