Wednesday, December 17, 2014

ColourPop Cosmetics Lippie Stix + Lippie Pencil Review!

I always love finding out about a good indie brand of makeup.. especially when they're inexpensive but great quality.  A lot of people tend to stick with tried and true brands of cosmetics -- drugstore brands like Cover Girl or Maybelline, high-end brands like Dior and Estee Lauder.  But it's really fun to branch out and see what else is out there in the makeup world -- and trust me, there is a LOT.

I kept hearing about the new ColourPop line, made in L.A. and sold at ridiculously reasonable prices.  Their products are only $5 a piece!  Their stuff has been all over YouTube and beauty blogs lately, with a bunch of gurus raving about how great everything is.  Because I love my nude lips, I decided to go ahead and pick up one of their Lippie Stix (their lipsticks) and a Lippie Pencil (a lipliner).


The prettiest colors on their site, in my opinion obviously, were "Frida" and "Brink."  Clearly.  I just tend to gravitate towards nude shades.  I think they're the most wearable and definitely the easiest colors to pull off for day time and everyday wear.  I also judge a new brand based on products I know the best (hence why I tend to purchase neutral shadows as well).  If I have something to compare and contrast it with, I'll be able to better evaluate its quality and performance!

I went with "Frida" for a lip liner, called a Lippie Pencil, and "Brink" for the lip stick, called a Lippie Stix.


The Lippe Pencil is a traditional lip liner, with a basic sharpen-to-use format.  The Lippie Stix is what I find the most fascinating -- it has a thin twist-up applicator, much narrower than any other lipstick I have used.  (The closet thing I can think of is the Clinique Black Honey lipstick, but even that is a bit wider).  It almost reminds me of a twist-up Crayon or a highlighter-type container.  But I like it!  I don't know why, but something about it just screams, "I'm cute and easy to use."  (Please.. don't do a "that's what she said" joke.)  


I'm in love with the colors!  And the formulas are amazing for their $5 price tag.  I was afraid they would be too sheer or not very pigmented, or too drying, or something.  But no!  They're surprisingly awesome.  With just one swipe of each product, I get a TON of coverage. The consistency is super creamy and feels smooth on the skin, with zero tugging or pulling.  The lip liner dries to a completely matte finish, and the lip stick is a semi-matte (leaning more towards matte).  "Frida" is definitely lighter in color than "Brink," but not by much.  They're in the same color family, but "Brink" has a slightly darker, mauve-y tint to it.  The ColourPop website describes it as the perfect "Kylie" inspired lip.  I sort of have to agree!  

I decided to layer "Brink" on top of "Frida" to see how they'd wear together (since that would probably be how I wear them IRL).  


I absolutely love the color.  It's a gorgeous dusty nude shade in person -- it sort of comes across a bit more rose-colored in the photographs than I would have hoped, but you can get a good idea of what they look like on the lip.  The only downside I see to this product is the way it sort of sinks into every fine line of your lips.  I have pretty dry lips at the moment, mostly due to the weather and stress (thanks, final exams!), and because the formula of both the lip liner and lip stick is so dense, creamy, and pigmented, it tends to settle into every nook and cranny.  But as long as you make sure you moisturize before you wear this, it's an AMAZING product!  [Go check out my DIY lip scrub and mask to cure those winter lips!]

I'll definitely be buying some more cosmetics from this line -- next on my list is a deep berry Lippie Stix called "Creature" and some $5 eye shadows!

For only $5 a piece, ColourPop sells great products, and they're definitely worth the investment.  Go pick up some staple pieces like I did, or experiment with fun shades you normally wouldn't buy at a higher price!

----------------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment