Sunday, August 3, 2014

PITCHFORK Music Festival!

So I spent the weekend of July 19-20 at the 9th annual Pitchfork Music Festival.  Being in Chicago is something that I take for granted on an almost daily basis, and sometimes I forget how many amazing summer festivals we have here.  I've never been to Pitchfork before, and was offered a last-minute ticket with some of my friends, so the opportunity was ripe.  (I just laughed out loud at that last sentence because that was the first phrase that came to my mind.  It. Was. Ripe.) 

I had an absolute blast.  I really enjoy music festivals, but this one was great because I wasn't surrounded by 16-year-olds on too much molly in bedazzled bras.  Don't get me wrong, I love fests like Spring Awakening and North Coast, but Pitchfork felt much more.. mature? Perhaps.

Between the music acts (some of my favorites were Earl Sweatshirt, Hudson Mohawke, Danny Brown, Kendrick Lamar, Deafheaven, Jon Hopkins.. the list goes on!), I took some time to try to snap some photos of the style I was loving.. and a few I could do without.  Below are just some of the standouts that I decided to feature here!


Kids.  Awesome children are awesome.  It's no shock that I'm not the biggest fan of children.  But when they're this cool, how can you not?  Pitchfork is an all-ages festival, and I'm totally cool with that if all the kids are this amazing.  A little girl channeling her inner hippie and a brother-sister duo with pastel hair were my absolute favorites.  I mean.. come on.


Floral prints.  Floral prints when done right are key.  But they have to be done right.  There were so many girls (and guys!) rocking floral prints and doing it so right.  I hate color, as you know, but it made me want to go out and buy some flower tops and dresses!  This girl's dress + bag + booties gave me LIFE.  I'm obsessed with her look from head to toe.


Accessorizing the right way.  I loved this girl's flowy and simple dress paired with a knee-high gladiator sandal and hardware-heavy cross body bag.  Her subtle lipstick and oversized sunnies finished off the look to perfection.


Purple lipstick.  I was pretty hesitant about this bright-lipstick trend at first, but the more I see it the more I like it.  This girl, whether it was intentional or not (I like to think it was), matched her violet lips with her purple bralette impeccably.  


Leather backpacks.  Same girl killin' it again!  Music fests are a mecca for backpack-clad fashionistas/fashionistos.  They're a hands-free and convenient way to store and lug around all your necessities.  No one wants to carry around a tote or hand-held bag while trying to dance to their favorite band.  And I was so drawn to all of the leather packs I saw!  Definitely buying one ASAP.


Chiffon kimonos.  This trend is still going strong.  I've been a fan and a wearer of the sheer kimono for quite a while now, and from the looks of it they aren't going away anytime soon.  I saw so many different colors, styles, and prints -- from a cropped solid cream to floor length tie dye to long sleeved and covered in butterflies, it was like walking through a Free People catalogue.   But I definitely didn't hate it.


Colored hair.  I remember when I was younger and used to dye my hair all sorts of crazy colors (I've rocked hot pink, red, purple, etc.), people thought I was "emo" and a "weirdo," but now the trend has definitely hit mainstream.  I think the pastel hair thing is adorable, and would have lavender/silver hair if I could.  Unfortunately for me, the most extreme I can go is blonde.  But I like to live vicariously through everyone who can wear colored hair!


Guy's style.  Most of the guys you will see at a festival fit into three categories: bros, hipsters, or ravers.  But then there's the occasional oh-my-god-are-you-from-a-magazine? guy.  I was staring at these two for this entire set, and was so amazed that they even existed.  Can all guys dress like this?  Thanks.


And here is a collection of people who should not be wearing hats.  Hats can be an amazing accessory -- I love them and I have many of them -- but there are some that should never see the light of day.  I saw a decent amount of fashion faux pas at Pitchfork, but the amount of poorly-worn hats I witnessed really took the cake.  


And may I ask, WHY ARE BUCKET HATS A THING?!  I seriously don't understand this trend AT ALL.  And that's the last I'm going to say about that.

Pitchfork was an awesome music festival, and I'll definitely be back next year.  I still love me a good EDM rave, but it was a refreshing two days at Union Park spent listening to rock and hip hop, eating too many cheese fries, and not rolling my eyes at tutus and flower crowns.  So to leave this blog off on a good note, here are some fun, standard, stereotypical festival photos!  Enjoy.



xojaybee

No comments:

Post a Comment