Sunday, March 22, 2015

My Favorite Nude Lipsticks (Perfect for Spring 2015)!

If the beauty trends from the 2015 awards season and New York Fashion Week has taught me anything, it's that the "no make up" make up look is going to be huge this year (..again).  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a fun coral or bright pink lip in the summertime.  But when the occasion isn't right for such a pop of color, the nude lip will definitely reign supreme.

Below I've included some of my favorite lipsticks that are perfect for that barely-there look.  From high end ($35) to drugstore ($6), I tried to include products in all price ranges.


MAC Lipstick (Amplified Creme) in "Half 'n Half" ($16) - a pretty, creamy opaque lipstick with major color payoff.  It tends to lean more cool-toned, so it'll wear a bit mauve-y if you have already cool-toned skin.  It's a bit darker than my natural lip shade but really gives them a pretty dusty rose color.  I like this MAC formula much better than their matte shades.  It's still not shiny by any means, but has a bit more moisture to it so it's not as dry and chapped feeling.  And it lasts hours on the lips before any noticeable wear.

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in "Stockholm" ($6) - an opaque lipstick in a lipgloss form.  I still don't quite know how to describe this stuff.  It's definitely not sticky in the slightest, but super smooth and creamy.  It has a matte finish to it without being drying at all.  The downside to the lip cream formula is its longevity, or lack thereof.  Because it's so smooth and lightweight, it only lasts an hour or two before it wears away.  If I wear this lipstick out of the house, I always bring the tube with me for touchups.  But this is one of the prettiest colors in the bunch!  It's the lightest and most neutral -- not too cool but not too warm toned.  And it's probably the closest to my natural lip color.  Plus, all NYX lip products smell like cake, soo..

Cover Girl Colorlicious Lipstick in "Sultry Sienna" ($8) - an opaque shade on the shiner side, but still not glossy by any means.  It's definitely the pinkest color on my list, which is super pretty for spring and summer.  It's a rosy shade that still remains in the nude family, and definitely leans on the cool side.  Paring a color like this with a flushed cheek and some mascara and/or lashes is the perfect warm-weather look.  

Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Lipstick in "3 Beige Ultimate" ($35) - my all time favorite lipstick!  It's a pretty, glossy-ish formula that has a beautiful sheen on the lips.  But I'll say it now -- I am not a fan of the flavor or the smell of this formula.  At all.  I find myself making a face every time I accidentally taste it.  It's not enough to get me to hate it, obviously -- it's still my favorite!  But it's a very polarizing flavor, I'll say that much.  This is a color that will look good with virtually any makeup look, with any outfit, on any skin tone.  

NYX Simply Nude Lip Cream in "Exposed" ($7) - a very creamy lipstick in a twist up pencil form.  Probably the most matte formula I've mentioned (but still not as matte as, say, a MAC matte formula).  I would make sure your lips are moisturized with some balm or chap stick before applying this lipstick, because it's a formula that might settle into fine lines and cling to dry patches once it has been on the lips for a couple of hours.  It's a warmer shade that is probably the second closet color to my own lips on this list.  This is a great on-the-go shade for throwing in your purse or pocket, and wearing as an every day lipstick for errands, lunch, or virtually anything at all.


And just for a reference, this is the natural color of my lips.  They aren't terribly pigmented, but definitely have a pink undertone.  The lipsticks I mentioned above work as a nude on my skin tone -- if you're a lot lighter or a lot darker, they might not show up as a MLBB ("my lips but better") color on you.  But still just as gorgeous for this whole no makeup makeup trend that's going to be huge for spring and summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment