Friday, October 24, 2014

My Go-To Fall Makeup Look! (All Matte Everything)

When I go virtually anywhere in the fall, the makeup look I always turn to is this simple matte makeup.  It pairs a super neutral eye with a barely-there bronze and blush.  If I'm feeling bold I'll wear a dark and vampy lip.  But if I want to be more subtle, I'll just throw on a nude-y mauve and be good to go.



It works with any outfit, for any occasion, and doesn't have any shimmer or glitter or anything crazy. It's also SO simple to create, uses minimal products and tools, and works on ANYone -- trust me!

Tutorial after the jump! 




1.  I started off with a foundation-ed face and freshly done brows.  I didn't really want to photograph those steps, sooo.. yeah.


2.  Prime your eyelids, per usual.  I used my Too Faced Shadow Insurance.


3.  With a big fluffy blending brush (I used my absolute favorite Sigma E35 Tapered Blending Brush), sweep a flesh-colored matte shadow over your entire lid.  For my skin color, Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow M650 is a perfect lid color.  Make sure to blend well!



4.  Using a fluffy crease brush (like my Sigma E25 Blending Brush), take a slightly darker matte eyeshadow and sweep it into your crease, from outer to inner corner.  I like Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow M646, which is basically the same color as my lid color but warmer and deeper.  


Make sure to shaded the outer-C shape of your eyelid and crease in this darker shade!


5.  Using the same crease brush, use an even DARKER shade matte shadow in the same family and lightly focus the color on the outer-C of your lid.  Here I used Urban Decay Eyeshadow in "Buck."


If you see any harsh lines or edges, go over the crease color with the original fluffy brush to diffuse any shadow.


6.  Using a fine-tipped liquid eyeliner (I prefer a felt tip pen version, but the brush type would work just fine!) draw a very fine line across your entire upper lash line, making sure to get as close to your lashes as possible.  My favorite is Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner in Jet Black.


Create a medium sized wing, but keep it straighter than normal (aka don't angle it upwards towards your eyebrow as much as normal).  


Connect the wing to the eyeliner with a straight line..


..and fill it in!


7.  With a medium sized smudger brush (or flat shader, whichever is handier -- I like my Sephora Collection Pro Smudge Brush #11), smudge in the darkest shadow you used into your lower lash line.  This isn't going to seem like it's doing much, but it defines the bottom half of your eye!


8.  This step is sort of optional (skip it if you don't like falsies -- but I'm telling you, the falsies really make this look what it is).  Glue a dramatic pair of false lashes on your upper lashes for extra volume and oomph.  Since the shadow in this look is very subtle and barely-there, the look of lashes really amps up the drama!  I decided to use my House of Lashes "Iconic" lashes.


9.  Add any type of mascara to the top lashes to blend them in with the falsies (or just to add mascara to the top lashes if you skipped falsies!), as well as a coat or two to the bottom lashes to give them definition.


10.  With a large fluffy face brush, sweep a healthy dose of matte bronzing powder on your cheek bones and blend it into your hairline.  I'm stressing the matte part, so avoid any bronzers with shimmer or glitter in them!  I used Stila Stay All Day Bronzer in Medium, which I love because it isn't too warm of a shade, so I don't look like a pumpkin when I layer it on.


Then sweep the bronzer on your jawline..


..and up on your forehead near your hairline.


11.  Sweep a matte, warm blush shade on the apples of your cheeks.  Try using a mauve or brown-ish shade for blush in this look -- it's super fall-y!  Stila Convertible Color in Peony is a good option for tanner skin!


And that's it!  No contouring or highlighting or anything fancy for this look!  It's super simple and matte and perfect for a casual fall day.

Below I have included two options for lipstick for this look -- a mauve-y nude shade and a dark vampy one.

For the nude, I used NYX Slim Lip Pencil in "Peek-A-Boo Natural" and NYX Simply Nude Lip Cream in "Exposed" on top:


For the vampy lip look, I used Make Up Forever Aqua Lip Waterproof Lip Liner Pencil in "11C Matte Dark Raspberry," and NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in "Monte Carlo" on top:


And that's it!  It's a really simple yet dramatic look, and can be worn for anything from running errands to dinner and drinks.  It's my go-to look for the fall, and I wear it constantly!  (If you want to tone it down, wear a less dramatic pair of lashes or no lashes at all, and pair it with a nude lip.  That instantly "dresses it down" and makes it more wearable if you're intimidated by the full lashes and bold lip!) 

xojaybee

No comments:

Post a Comment