Thursday, April 24, 2014

BIG Beauty Haul!

The stars must have aligned just right today, because I have three different store's worth of products for one haul! My Sephora and Nasty Gal purchases arrived at my doorstep, and I brought home some goodies from Ulta -- unintentionally all at the same time.  Let's just dive right in!


1.  Kat Von D True Romance Eyeshadow Palette in "Saint" ($36)


How gorgeous is this packaging? I have one of Kat's original eyeshadow palettes from years ago (I'm talking maybe 5 or 6 years ago, when her line first came out).  It's in a cheaper package, and the shadow quality is a little less superior than this one.  I am in love with how new-and-improved and beautiful her new products look.


I. Am. Obsessed.  This palette is a warm-tone-lover's dream.  I couldn't have asked for anything more -- except maybe one more matte shade(!), but I'm not being picky.  It even comes with an amazingly pigmented and creamy eyeliner pencil!  The shadow colors from left to right: "Heavens" (pearlized vanilla), "Enjoy the Silence" (pearlized butter-cream), "<3" (soft pink with sparkle), "Downtown (pearlized champagne), "Sunny" (pearlized gold), "Pray For Me" (pearlized taupe), "Bookworm" (pearlized brown), "Caravaggio" (dark matte brown), and finally the Mini Puro Amor Black Autograph Pencil Eyeliner.  ALL THIS FOR $36.

 

This is the application of the shadows without any eyeshadow primer on the skin.  Some of the shades are still pretty pigmented!  The lighter the colors go, the less opaque and more sheer they become.  And that liner!  It glides on the skin like a dream -- and it's SO black. (I even had a hard time getting the pigment off my skin using a wet makeup remover wipe!)


Here are the swatches over an eyeshadow primer.  Like.. seriously?  This is all I've ever wanted in a palette.  I know I'm going to be using this almost daily, and will definitely be creating a new makeup look for a tutorial soon.  In love.

2.  Sephora Collection Universal Lip Liner ($10)


For only $10 a pop, I think this is a pretty good deal.. it even rivals some drugstore brand prices.  I have been in the market for a clear, universal lip liner for a while, and I finally decided to go with the Sephora brand.  I couldn't really "swatch" a clear lip liner, but I can tell you that it glides on the lips with ease and doesn't leave them feeling too dried out -- which a lot of lip liners can do.  I not only apply my liner to the outer edges of my lips, but I also fill them in completely when I'm using a very pigmented lipstick shade. After a trial run, I can say that this definitely does its job!  There was virtually no feathering, and the lipstick stayed on my lips even after some snack eating.  (Pictures below.)

3. NYX Butter Lipstick in "Big Cherry" ($6)


So pretty!  I've become a huge fan of NYX products.  You honestly cannot beat the price for what you're getting.  Yes, of course the one downside to NYX that I've found is its lasting ability -- the products generally don't stay put as long as I would like them to.  But the cost of re-application is minimal because of how inexpensive they are to begin with!  This lipstick is surprisingly pigmented and very opaque with only two coats.  I wasn't sure what to expect with such a bright, bold color from a NYX Butter Lipstick, but I am very, very pleasantly surprised!

Me being an idiot #1
Me being an idiot #2 
And this is actually what it looks like :]

As always, it is a creamy and easy to apply formula.  The pigmentation is ridiculous for a $6 lipstick!  Yes, the lasting power may not be as great as some $20-30 lipsticks, but this is so cheap and so good.  And when used on top of a lipliner, you can't go wrong!

4.  E.L.F. Studio Makeup Remover Pen ($2.80 on sale)


This is seriously one of the coolest things I've purchased in a while!  It's basically just a felt tipped pen, almost like a clear sharpie, that is filled with liquid makeup remover.  All you do is "draw" on and "erase" any makeup that may have smudged while you're applying it.  You can even clean up winged eyeliner for a perfect finish.  So. Cool.

5. & 6.  NYX Hi Definition Photo Concealer Wands in "Tan" and "Fair" ($5 each)


I was pretty hesitant about buying $5 concealer -- it's a product that can go horribly wrong if not used properly and/or is a cheap formula.  For comparison's sake, the concealer I use (when needed) is Smashbox Camera Ready Full Coverage Concealer ($20), and it's probably the best concealer I have ever used.  So I was a little skeptical about this. But I've heard a lot of great things, so I decided to give it a shot.  And it's great!  The formula is very creamy and slick, and easy to blend in.  The only downside is that it isn't full full coverage -- I would say it is about a medium coverage.  And be sure to really blend this into your skin, because if you leave too thick of a layer it looks like it's going to settle into fine lines.  But overall I really like them, and I'm going to use this for a while to test it out.  [To get a flawless finish like in the last photo, I buffed out the product my fingers and then dabbed it out with a damp makeup sponge! See the below review for this sponge!]

[I bought two different colors for a few reasons.  One, the light color will be used for underneath my eyes as well as highlighting.  Two, the darker color can be used as a base underneath my powder contour bronzer to create added depth and pigment.  Three, the darker color is what I'll be using for general spot concealing around my face when needed.  And four, the two colors combined can sort of create a plethora of different shades, depending on how tan I am (if it's the summer versus the winter)!]

7.  NYX Blotting Powder in "Medium/Dark" ($12)

I swatched this so you could see how well it blends in

Another NYX product!  I already have an amazing loose translucent powder from Estee Lauder that I use when I need to set my face, but I couldn't pass this up -- it's called BLOTTING powder for pete's sake.  I have naturally oily skin in my T-zone, and this will be a perfect setting powder and touch-up powder for the coming hot, summer days.  I tend to get even oiler when I'm warm, especially because I have a condition called hyperhidrosis, which causes my scalp and facial sweat glands to profusely overproduce.  This leaves me pretty gross-feeling when it's hot outside.  But this powder -- which seems to do what it's meant to do so far -- will definitely help me out and leave my skin looking fresh all day!

8.  Real Techniques Powder Brush ($10)


Oh my god.  This brush!!  It is so big and fluffy and soft and velvety and big!  I wish you could see and feel it in person.  It's amazing.  And only $10?!  Done.  I'm going to use it for face powder and blush and setting powder and mineral powder and bronzer and anything I can fluff all over my face.  I used this brush to "swatch" the NYX blotting powder and the finish it leaves is so flawless and HD-like.  Buy this.

9.  Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge ($6)


$6.  That's right.  Six dollars.  Take that, beauty blender.  Now don't get me wrong -- the beauty blender is an awesome product!  But that's just my point.  When some unique and wonderful beauty product is developed and becomes a favorite in the market, it's only a matter of time until the world starts creating dupes.  And ladies (and gentleman), that time has come.  There are SO many dupes for the beauty blender out there right now.. this is just one of them.  And I love it!  ($6 compared to the $20+ for the original beauty blender is just unbeatable.)  There are 3 different sides to use with the Real Technique's sponge, and SO MANY FRICKEN USES.  This video, made by the creators of the sponge, does an excellent job at describing and visualizing how to use it.  Check it out!  This sponge is soft and springy and smooth, and can be used damp (which makes it bigger and softer) or "dry" (and it's still pretty squishy then too!).

10, 11, 12.  Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray, Hair Cream, and Conditioner ($6 each) 


The first thing I have to say about these products is OMG THE SMELL.  It's the most wonderful, coconutty, beachy, oceany smell ever.  So fantastic.  And it actually lasts in your hair!  I am going to do a tutorial with these products in the near future, so I won't go into too much detail here, but I will say that these are the best inexpensive styling products I've used in a long, long time.  They honestly feel and work like much pricier versions -- think Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray ($26) or Undressing Cream ($29).  I have both of those B&B products, and I think these NYM products are giving them a good run for their money.  Plus I seriously cannot get over how amazing they smell.  They give a matte, piece-y, wavy look to the hair, without making your hair feel like dry hay.  [But I would still recommend using a leave-in conditioner after using this, just so you don't damage your hair because of the spray's salt content!]


Well.  That was a lot.  More than a lot.  Too much, even.  I feel overwhelmed.  I can't imagine how you must feel.  Just go, conquer, and buy & try these products!  I recommend them all.  Any questions, just shoot :]

xojaybee

1 comment: